Mr. Rice led the engineering team for the $856B Flushing Commons redevelopment project with F&T Group, Rockefeller Group, and Perkins Eastman; the largest development in Flushing and one of the largest mixed-use developments in Queens. Design services included MEP/FP engineering, IT/AV and security design and consulting services, lighting design, building controls, and BIM integration.
Flushing Commons is a region-defining mixed-use development that brings together a talented team of designers, developers, and owners. The multi-phase project includes a full mix of residential, retail, amenity, and community spaces in a seamlessly stitched together element of the greater community. Throughout the design process, the guiding principles were to revitalize the surrounding areas, seamlessly combine live-work-play spaces, and give the massive project an intentional, intelligent, and transformative community experience.
Upon completion of all phases, the project will include:
- Two commercial office buildings: one 13-story and one 6-story, totaling 216,000 SF
- Three 17-story residential towers totaling 726,000 SF with 20% marketed to seniors
- 254,000 SF of retail space including local and national retailers, restaurants, and a multi-screen cinema
- One acre town square of open space with a fountain plaza
- Parking for 2,000 cars below grade
- 53,000 SF community facility featuring amenities such as swimming pool, basketball courts, and exercise room with memberships available to community residents